Quezon Provincial Capitol
The Quezon Provincial Capitol (formerly known as the Tayabas Provincial Capitol), may be a familiar view for most of the Lucenahins. We see this building almost everyday especially if we are boarding a jeepney en route to “Kapitolyo”.
Not only that, it also serves as a “virtual alarm clock” for most of the residents here Lucena because of the familiar siren that we hear three times a day – at 7 in the morning, 12 noon and 5 in the afternoon.
With its contemporary looks today, one might not think that the Quezon Provincial Capitol is over a century year old. Constructed way back 1908 on a land donated by the then Gov. Filemon Perez, this building becomes a part of the everyday lives of every Lucenahins. Its Neoclassical Art-Deco style was designed by Architect Juan Arellano.
On the top of the Provincial Capitol Building, you will see 24 statues of men and women representing the different livelihood in the province. These statues are made by an Italian sculptor, Francesco Riccardo Monti.
During the World War II, the structure was damaged but was soon restored with the means of Philippine Rehabilitation (Tydings) Act, April 30, 1946. During those times, several Provincial Offices were situated there for easy access of the government services. As the time goes by, some of the offices left the capitol and moved to newly constructed buildings within the vicinity.
On March 10, 2010, the Quezon Provncial Capitol was declared as a National Historical Landmarrk by the National Historical Institute (NHI), through Presidential Decree No. 260. On March 15, 2011, the NHI noted the “state of disorder” of the building. From then on, restoration projects for the Provincial Capitol were being carried out.
To date, some of the rooms here are still undergoing renovation, specifically on the 2nd floor. The third floor, where the Provincial Badminton Court was located is locked but can be used as long as you have gained permission from the Provincial Sports Office which is located at the Quezon convention Center.
Here are some of the offices in the Provincial Capitol (as of this writing):
Civil Security Unit
Commission on Audit
Provincial Post Office
COMELEC Provincial Office
Civil Service Commission
DSWD Provincial Office
Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO)
Provincial Tribal Council
Department of Interior and Local Government
Quezon Parole and Probation Office
Provincial Human Resource Management Office
Provincial Engineer’s Office
Provincial Badminton Court
Offices within the Capitol Compound (within the vicinity of the Quezon Capitol):
Quezon Provincial Library
Quezon Provincial Chest Center
Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office
Provincial Veterinarian Office
Provincial Attorney’s Office
Provincial Assessors Office
Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office
Provincial Sports Office
Quezon Provincial Economic Enterprise Unit
Bureau of Immigration
National Bureau of Investigation
National Irrigation Administration
Department of Agriculture
QMWD Satellite Office
Provincial Treasurer’s Office
Quezon Provincial Jail
Philippine National Red Cross
Regional Trial Court
Integrated Bar of the Philippines
Girl Scout of the Philippines
Boy Scout of the Philippines